- England will on Friday decide whether to put Keaton Jennings out of his misery and hand Mark Stoneman a golden opportunity to book an Ashes place.
- The dilemma for the selectors when they meet to pick their squad for the first Test against the West Indies revolves around the top-order problems that led to England effectively beating South Africa with one hand tied behind their back.
- England will only drop Jennings with a heavy heart because they believe in him as an opener, but could decide he will not continue after averaging just 15.87 against South Africa.
- Dawid Malan is sure to stay after only playing in two Tests against South Africa, but Alex Hales will be discussed as an alternative at No 5 after impressing with his attitude and runs in all forms.
- The management are determined for Crane to play in at least one of the three Tests with a view to taking him to Australia.