- Kevin Pietersen would like to see Joe Root live by his aggressive approach during the 2017-18 Ashes series but insists he has ‘no idea’ how to solve England’s selection problems.
- A 3-1 series win over South Africa to retain the Basil D’Oliveira Trophy has done little to answer several pressing questions for the England management ahead of this winter’s Ashes.
- Pietersen admits there is not a quick fix for Root, who impressed against South Africa despite England’s top order struggles, but has revealed where he would like Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow and Moeen Ali to bat.
- A number of players have tried and fail to earn a regular place alongside Cook at the top of the order but Pietersen says the search is still on to find an adequate successor for Strauss.
- ‘I don’t know who would open with Cook,’ the former England star added.