- Australian netball coach Lisa Alexander says the sudden withdrawal of star defender Sharni Layton due to exhaustion will galvanise the squad ahead of this month’s Quad Series.
- The 29-year-old Layton will take a leave of absence from netball after extensive consultation with medical experts and hopes to return in time to defend gold at next year’s Commonwealth Games.
- Diamonds squad members enjoyed four weeks off after the Super Netball season before reuniting in late July for a training camp in Canberra.
- The Quad Series involves netball heavyweights Australia, New Zealand, England and South Africa.
- Australia start against England in Brisbane, before meeting South Africa in Canberra (August 30) and New Zealand in Invercargill (September 3).