- No two players from one domestic team have made a bigger difference to India’s Test fortunes in the last one year or so than the Saurashtra duo of Cheteshwar Pujara and Ravindra Jadeja.After a bright start to their Test careers and subsequent dip in their fortunes, both Cheteshwar Pujara and Ravindra Jadeja have found a second wind to their careers with some consistently good performances in their chosen speciality.
- Pujara currently is India’s top-ranked Test batsman in ICC rankings at No 3 while Jadeja is No 1 in Test rankings for both bowlers and all-rounders.
- His brings both solidity and substance to the order with his unruffled mindset and an insatiable appetite for big runs.Since his career-resurrecting unbeaten 145 in Colombo in 2015, Pujara has emerged as India’s top run-getter in Tests with 2026 runs in 36 visits to the crease at an average of 61.39 with the help of seven hundreds of which two have been double tons.During the same period and in as many innings, skipper Virat Kohli has managed 1861 runs at 56.39.
- The Chennai bowler has played three more Tests than Jadeja during the same period and has 141 victims at 22.42 and a strike rate of 48.6.
- “Guys who have both abilities are very rare to find,” Kohli said about Jadeja after the second Test against Sri Lanka.