- The former Sri Lanka Cricket Board secretary has witnessed history in the making, be it the sub-continent co-hosting the 1996 World Cup or Sri Lanka’s eventual triumph in that premier event.
- Not many know that Perera played a crucial hand in India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka jointly hosting the 1996 World Cup.
- Here is his back-story: “Nelson Mandela had been released from the jail and he rang up president Ranasinghe Premadasa and wanted our support for South Africa in their bid to host the World Cup.
- Cut to the present, Perera is happy that cricket has gained financial muscle in Sri Lanka but is worried that the system isn’t robust.
- I have been in the (SLC) committee for 20 years, six years as secretary, one year as vice-president and six times as Sri Lanka’s team-manager.