- Nobody should be too concerned about T20 Internationals for the moment: South Africa use the platform as a “beginner’s guide” to international cricket — and have never been very good at it anyway.
- “Vern is probably the best in the world in seaming — swinging conditions, which we had in all four Test matches, so not having him here was very frustrating and disappointing,” Du Plessis said.
- Philander’s fitness aside, the most important task facing Du Plessis, the new coach and anybody else with influence over the country’s greatest modern-era batsman, is persuading AB de Villiers to make himself available for those Test matches.
- He remains contracted to the England cricket board as bowling coach and, if they do allow him to move to a position he clearly covets, there may be compensation to pay — and Cricket South Africa does not part with its cash easily.
- England won three Tests in a series against South Africa for the first time since 1960, and won a series on home soil against them for the first since 1998.