- Joe Root will join Test cricket’s pink age this week before going back to the fuchsia in the Ashes war zone.
- Root has taken to the England captaincy like a rubber duck to bathwater, but 100 days before the first Test in Australia he is already warning his young players about the fierce hostility awaiting them Down Under this winter.
- Root will lead his side into the first-ever day-night Test in this country when they face the West Indies at Edgbaston on Thursday.
- Root said: “The crowds give you a hard time, and that’s probably what made it so enjoyable for the guys who went there and won (under Andrew Strauss in 2010-11).
- But the variables of a pink ball will add to his workload, and he admitted: “Maybe I was a bit naïve about the time and energy that would go into captaincy.