- PALLEKELE: India’s bowlers left Sri Lanka staring at a big defeat and a series whitewash after another shambolic batting performance saw the hosts being bundled out for 135 in their first innings in the third and final test on Sunday.
- Pandya smashed his hundred off just 86 deliveries before he was the last batsman out, giving Sri Lanka left-arm spinner Lakshan Sandakan his maiden five-wicket haul in tests.
- India fast bowler Mohammed Shami did the early damage to Sri Lanka’s first innings by dismissing both openers cheaply before left-arm wrist-spinner Kuldeep Yadav ran through the middle and lower order with four wickets for 40.
- Sri Lanka got off to a terrible start in their first innings when Tharanga edged Shami to wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha for five and inexplicably called for a review after consultation with opening partner Karunaratne.
- The clean-hitting Pandya soon tore into the Sri Lanka attack and blasted 26 in one over from Pushpakumara, hitting the left-arm spinner for two fours and three sixes in five deliveries.