- The Minister of Sports Dayasiri Jayasekara expressed his views when questioned on the dire situation the Sri Lankan cricket team has fallen to stating that, in his belief there is no better side the SLC can currently field as the Test team for Sri Lanka.
- The sports Minister stated that he had held discussions with the players and management of the team yesterday (15) to determine a permanent solution to avoid a repetition of the series of bad performances over the past year.
- Minister Jayasekara also stated that he sees no immediate need to head hunt for new players as in his view, several players who were performing at a much higher level have declined.
- When questioned on the recent allegations made by the Minister of Petroleum Resources Development Arjuna Ranatunga that the team is influenced by certain political agendas, he stated that for the first time after the election of the new government there was an election for the post of the head of the SLC which Minister Ranatunga lost.
- The Minister also stated that he prefers to limit his involvement as a politician as he does not want to tarnish the team with allegations of increased political involvement.