Daily Mail UK – Billy Root, brother of England captain Joe, has been handed his first professional contract by Nottinghamshire.
- The 25-year-old all-rounder is one of a pair of new two-year deals announced by the county, with Luke Fletcher also signing.
- Fletcher has been forced to miss the remainder of this summer after being hit on the head by a straight drive back at him while bowling against Birmingham Bears in the T20 Blast last month.
- Fletcher made a fine start to the season before the horrific moment when he was struck on the head, after which he was told by doctors he had ‘dodged a bullet’ in an incident which might easily have had far worse consequences.
- Nottinghamshire head coach Peter Moores said: ‘It’s a well-deserved contract for Luke because of what he has done in the last 12 months.
- ‘We have seen the results of that in the way he bowled in the first part of the County Championship season and in helping us to win the Royal London Cup.’