Stuff – Former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott has apologised for making an allegedly racist comment while discussing knighthoods handed out to West Indies cricketers.

Summary

  • Former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott has apologised for making an allegedly racist comment while discussing knighthoods handed out to West Indies cricketers.
  • British newspaper The Daily Mirror reported on Tuesday (Wednesday NZ Time) that the 76-year-old Boycott said he would need to “black me face” to get a knighthood after seeing the honour handed out like “confetti” to West Indies greats such as Viv Richards, Garfield Sobers and Curtly Ambrose.
  • Boycott responded to the newspaper article by tweeting that what he said was “unacceptable,” adding: “I meant no offence but what I said was clearly wrong and I apologise unreservedly.”
  • He said he has “utmost respect” for West Indian cricket.
  • Boycott, an outspoken pundit, is reported to have made the remarks at a question-and-answer session during a break in play of England’s day-night test against the West Indies at Edgbaston last week.


Read more…