Rediff – IMAGE: Jasprit Bumrah appeals successfully for the wicket of Niroshan Dickwella.
- Photograph: Dinuka Liyanawatte/ReutersOpener Rohit Sharma smashed an unbeaten 124 to help India overcome a top-order wobble and register a series-clinching six-wicket victory in the third one-day international against Sri Lanka in Pallekele on Sunday.
- Paceman Jasprit Bumrah laid the foundation for India’s victory with a career-best 5-27 to help restrict Sri Lanka to 217-9 at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium.
- The match was held up towards the end when irate fans, who have been protesting since India blanked Sri Lanka 3-0 in the preceding Test series, hurled water bottles and forced the players off the ground for about half an hour.
- Bumrah dismissed Niroshan Dickwella and Kusal Mendis to reduce Sri Lanka to 28-2 before Lahiru Thirimanne and Dinesh Chandimal tried to steady the innings.
- Photograph: Dinuka six-wicket haul had nearly derailed India’s chase in the previous match and the off-spinner dismissed KL Rahul and the Kedar Jadhav cheaply to rekindle Sri Lanka’s hopes of staying alive in the series.