Daily Mail UK – So, what happens next?
- What could possibly happen now in the final Test of the summer after West Indies confounded every possible expectation at Headingley to pull off one of the greatest of all upsets and set up a Lord’s decider?
- The immediate consequence of West Indies comeback is that England, after a Test season of decent progress, desperately need to finish Joe Root’s first summer as captain on a winning note to set the tone for the Ashes.
- That is no reflection on Toby Roland-Jones who deserves the chance after taking 14 wickets in his first three Tests to bring his local knowledge of Lord’s to an attack that could not bowl West Indies out on the last day in Leeds.
- Finally, there is the continuing saga of England’s fragile top five and whether Mark Stoneman and Dawid Malan can build on the progress made at Headingley and cement their places in the first Test at Brisbane in November.
- So this time I will just say England should win this final Investec Test comfortably to clinch a second series victory of a productive summer.