News – IT was around 11pm London time when the first look at the following morning’s newspaper front pages first dropped.
- And the almost universal response to damning footage of English cricketer Ben Stokes flooring a man with a vicious right hand was: England has lost The Ashes before they even started.
- Former Test stars Michael Vaughan and Kevin Pietersen were among a host of big names predicting their country’s demise on the back of evidence which has surely left English cricket officials in a position where they must not only drop Stokes from their team but also strip him of the vice captaincy.
- England coach Trevor Bayliss has described the circumstances which led to Stokes’ arrest in Bristol early on Monday as “very unprofessional”.
- A man said by The Sun newspaper to be Stokes is seen to throw punches at two men, in a video that was published on the newspaper’s website.
- In the 61-second video clip published by The Sun, the man alleged to be Stokes, is seen to hit out and grapple with another man on the ground before seeming to throw a punch and fall to the pavement himself.