Sporting News – Since its inception, the Indian Super League (ISL) has adopted the marquee players rule which has mandated teams to sign one elite player every season.
- Since its inception, the Indian Super League (ISL) has adopted the marquee players rule which has mandated teams to sign one elite player every season.
- The likes of Alessandro Del Piero, David Trezeguet, Robert Pires, Roberto Carlos, Diego Forlan have graced the league over the years with their star presence while their performance has been a mixed bag,The marquee players were always meant to be the supporting vehicle to boost the ship that is Indian football and while their performances might not have lived up to their names; their names definitely have brought added attention to the league.
- Three seasons later, the report card of Indian players in the league does not make for a kind reading.
- That the number of notable Indian performers in three seasons so far can be counted on one’s fingertips shows that the Indian players haven’t really made a telling difference to their teams on a consistent basis.
- ISL was launched to take Indian football to the next level, and with the lack of marquee players this time around, there has never been a greater need for the domestic pool to step up.