Roar – Captain Joe Root was among three English half-centurions but a sandy-haired Australian legspinner curbed the tourists’ Ashes preparations on Wednesday.
- Unheralded tweaker Daniel Fallins took four English wickets for the Cricket Australia XI on the opening day of the tour match in Adelaide.
- England made 8-278 in the pink-ball fixture but while Root (58), Mark Stoneman (61) and Dawid Malan (63) thrived, opener Alastair Cook failed again.
- After a second-ball duck in England’s tour opener against a Western Australian XI last week, Cook mustered only 15 from 28 balls against a callow CA XI.
- Fallins, a 21-year-old making his first-class debut, took four consecutive English scalps including Root and Stoneman and finished with 4-71 from 21 overs.
- Following the Adelaide game, England have another four-day fixture against a CA XI in Townsville from November 15 before the Ashes opener.