Rediff – IMAGE: Glenn Maxwell of Australia gestures to the crowd.
- IMAGE: Glenn Maxwell of Australia gestures to the crowd.
- Glenn Maxwell is tired of people harking back to his explosive power hitting in limited overs cricket and says he wants to be recognised for his more measured form as he fights to secure Australia’s number six batting spot for the Ashes series.
- “I think (selectors) made it pretty clear that they wanted the top six batters in the country and I want to put my hand up and be one of them,” Maxwell told reporters in Melbourne.
- Maxwell scored a fine century at number six against India in March and with selectors keen to have a part-time bowler able to provide relief for the pacemen over the course of a long campaign, his ability to soak up some overs with his off-spin would be valuable.
- While former Australia leg-spinner Shane Warne said in September he would select Maxwell for the first Test against England in Brisbane starting on Nov.