WA Today – Ryan Harris was right to declare through the week that he thought the national selectors would already have a good idea who they wanted in the Test side come Brisbane.
- But will Hohns and fellow Test selectors Darren Lehmann and Greg Chappell back their original hunch come official selection this week?
- Or could a last-ditch bid in the third round of the shield, beginning on Monday, vault Peter Nevill or Shaun Marsh into the side or ensure one of Glenn Maxwell or Hilton Cartwright retain their spots from Australia’s last Test, in Bangladesh?
- He had been among those threatening for Test selection last summer but could not deliver the major knock needed in the shield immediately following Australia’s collapse in Hobart, which sparked widespread change.
- Wade’s batting has been on a disturbing freefall through recent Tests, the one-day series in India and the opening rounds of the shield, where the new Tasmanian captain made one and six against WA and nine and 17 against the Bulls.
- Nevill looked to have turned the corner with the bat in his third last Test knock, an unbeaten second innings of 60 when Australia crashed to defeat against South Africa in Perth last summer.