Evening Standard – The relative weakness of the opposition may not give an entirely accurate picture of performance but all the indications are that Chris Woakes is rediscovering his best form in time for the Ashes.
- With just eight days before the First Test against Australia at Brisbane, Woakes produced his second stand-out performance inside a week to take six for 54 on the opening day of this final warm-up match in Townsville.
- Last Friday under the Adelaide floodlights, the Warwickshire all-rounder routed the Cricket Australia XI’s top order with a spell of four for 12 on the third day of the pink-ball tour match.
- England survive Bairstow injury scare Woakes then completed his day’s work by taking two more wickets with the second new ball during the final session, which England ended on top as they restricted the hosts to 249 for nine by the close.
- Australia know all about the dangers of James Anderson and Stuart Broad, England’s opening bowlers who share 894 Test wickets between them.
- Those concerns appeared justified when Woakes produced a wicketless display during England’s opening tour match in Perth.