Pakistan Today – BRISBANE: In a shocking move, Australia has included t wicket-keeper Tim Paine following a seven-year absence from Test cricket, with the wicketkeeper set to take the gloves for the all-important Ashes series.
- Cameron Bancroft was also named in the 13-man squad for the first two matches of the series while veteran batsman Shaun Marsh’s strong start to the domestic season earned him a recall to the Test team.
- Queenslander Matthew Renshaw has been axed following a lean start to the Shield season, while leading contenders for the No.
- The Western Australian had hopes of a Test debut crushed in 2015 after he was named in Australia’s squad to tour Bangladesh before that trip was postponed, and has since broadened his horizons with two stints playing county cricket for Gloucestershire all the while impressing for the Warriors with five tons in the two most recently completed Shield seasons.
- He also took the gloves as captain of the Cricket Australia XI in a tour match against England last week, scoring a half-century against England’s likely first Test attack of James Anderson, Chris Woakes and Craig Overton.
- Chadd Sayers, last year’s Shield leading wicket taker with 62 scalps, has also won inclusion in the squad with Hohns indicating the South Australian has been included with an eye to the second Test in Adelaide which is set to be played under lights for the first time in Ashes series.