News – Cricket: A wrap of the Ashes from day one.
- The Nine network is still reeling from its much-criticised decision to present the Ashes with an all-male commentary line-up — and veteran sports journalist and presenter Alison Mitchell has not helped their situation.
- The broadcaster famously became the first women to call ball-by-ball cricket action on the ABC during the 2013-14 Ashes in Australia and was the big winner of day one of the cricket commentary wars in Australia and England.
- Mitchell featured as a member of the BT Sport commentary team broadcasting the game back to the UK and immediately struck a chord with viewers during the network’s first ever Ashes series broadcast since taking over the rights from Sky Sports.
- “Mitchell was on point as ever when marshalling the Aussie cricketer Alyssa Healy in the commentary box, while Healy’s husband, Mitchell Starc, was bowling,” he wrote.
- “Alison Mitchell was designated a much smaller pop-up counter though her style and depth of knowledge made this a substantial stride for sports broadcasting, as she became the first woman to commentate on televised men’s Ashes cricket,” he wrote.