WA Today – Bouncers flew.
- But on social media, Cricket Australia put up a still of an England batsman ducking under a fearsome bouncer, as if this was the rule, not the exception.
- Lyon should have had Vince’s wicket from a thick edge muffed by Paine, then took him out anyway with an inspired pick-up and throw from cover.
- Then Cummins pierced Joe Root’s defences, and the day belonged to Australia, marginally, not by hostile takeover as last time, but by the sweat of their brow.
- Two nearly did for England this day, Cummins for Australia.
- For all the archness of their rivalry, Australia and England have in the past 10 years played only two matches decided by less than eight wickets or 100 runs.