News – Cricket: A wrap of the Ashes from day one.
- Lyon looked threatening every time he hopped to the crease and deserved a wicket, but he provided the day’s main turning point anyway when he swooped on a James Vince bunt into the in-field like a thief in the night.
- “One of the big things we talk about is that special play or that outstanding effort,” said Pat Cummins of Lyon’s brilliance.
- For once there was no one talking about the prospect of four quicks at the Gabba, but Lyon found pressure of a different kind when he decided to provoke England with an extraordinary outburst to the UK press.
- Lyon should have had James Vince caught behind 15 runs before he ran him out – and constantly troubled England’s batsmen.
- The wickets didn’t come, but Lyon is now what Graeme Swann was for England a few years ago – an ever-present danger.