Daily Nation – The region’s cricket development is getting a helping hand from Down Under.
- Needy kids throughout the Caribbean will now have the chance to own their own gear, as the Australian-based Caribbean Children’s Cricket Charity is preparing to distribute 23 boxes of equipment across Barbados.
- “The idea came to me that there’s a lot we can do in Australia to try and support children who may not have access to cricket gear, so I started collecting as much spare equipment as I could.
- “And it’s a very simple idea, where we put bats and gloves and pads and helmets into the hands of cricket-loving children here in this proud cricketing region of the world who may not necessarily have access to enough gear,” Lowe explained.
- “Two years ago when Sir Richie Richardson was in Sydney as the manager of West Indies, I dropped a letter into the SCG dressing room and I told him I had this idea to send cricket gear all the way from Australia and whether he would be an ambassador.
- The idea of the charity came to her after she watched her sons play cricket with many children in the region.