Canberra Times – Cameron Bancroft Missed out in first innings, bounced back hard in the second with an unbeaten 82 and hit the winning runs.
- Would have loved a century to silence the critics for good but a fighting half-century with Smith saved Australia’s bacon 7.5Tim Paine (wk) Recalled and missed a catch, then only made it into the teens with the bat.
- Will be better for the run but stepped up to take big wickets when it mattered, knocking over three of England’s top four in their second innings 8Alastair Cook Hopelessly out of touch, may not make it through the series if things don’t improve 3Mark Stoneman He’s no Warner in the run rate department but he’s tough.
- Earned plenty of admirers by toughing things out but needs to turn a start into a ton at some point 7.5James Vince Top scored with 85 in the first innings, failed in the second but clearly has the ability to score runs at this level.
- You got the feeling when he fell in the second, England were cooked 7Dawid Malan Made 56 and 4 but looked like a walking wicket for Lyon at stages.
- Took 3/49 but like every other English bowler, couldn’t crack Australia in the second 7.5Jake Ball Doesn’t look to have the pace to trouble the Australians on flat pitches.