ABC News Australia – There was really only one way the equation was supposed to play out.
- In any familiar world, the aggressive Warner would monopolise scoring and smash a hundred, while the patient, quiet, junior partner blocked the odd ball at the other end.
- This isn’t to disparage Warner — when you have 20 Test centuries in as short a time as him, some will be more important than others.
- Five times, Warner knocked a single run from the first ball of the over.
- Had Warner gone harder earlier, Australia could have claimed the extra half hour and finished the game in four days.
- After a day of solid apprenticeship, hitting the winning runs in an Ashes Test would give the kind of feelgood factor that could carry him through the series.