Deccan Herald – Sharma’s unbeaten 208 off 153 balls that stood out with the opener becoming the only ODI batsman in history to score three double tons.
- Rohit Sharma, the Indian captain for this series, gave a delightful demonstration of that special ability on Wednesday when he hit a devastating double hundred that crushed Sri Lanka’s hopes of sealing the series.
- It was the third ODI double hundred by Rohit, the first batsman to achieve such a feat.
- With Shikhar Dhawan (68) and young Shreyas Iyer (88) contributing fluent half-centuries, India heaped 392/4 in 50 overs and Sri Lanka were shattered simply by the weight of it.
- With the pitch being unresponsive to the Sri Lankan efforts, Rohit raised 115 runs for the opening wicket with Dhawan and 213 for the second with Iyer.
- If in the opening partnership, Rohit stepped back to give Dhawan the charge, he assumed full control in the second, providing Iyer the cushion to play his shots freely.