SBS – Australia’s injured spearhead Mitchell Starc is likely to be ruled out of the Boxing Day Ashes Test, possibly as early as Saturday.
- Australia’s injured spearhead Mitchell Starc is likely to be ruled out of the Boxing Day Ashes Test, possibly as early as Saturday.
- Starc is determined to prove medicos wrong but, barring a miraculous recovery, will struggle to show his bruised heel is ready for the rigours of five days of Test cricket.
- Parallels have been drawn with 2012 – Bird’s Test debut at the MCG after Starc had been rotated out of the attack because of workload concerns.
- Glenn McGrath, Test cricket’s most-prolific bowler, recorded the worst figures of his international career when he tried to bowl through the pain of a bruised heel during an Ashes Test in 2006.
- Ryan Harris, renowned for his pain threshold throughout a lion-hearted Test career that had included Australia’s Ashes success four years ago, also knows how much of an impediment a bruised heel can be.