News – Cricket: England took the upper hand on day-3 after former captain nailed a double-ton.
- A HUMBLE and emotional Alastair Cook says he feels “sorry for Brian Lara” after eclipsing the West Indian legend on the all-time run-scorer list with a stunning double-century at the MCG.
- Cook — who admitted to feeling the pinch after a less than impressive first three Tests of this Ashes series — sent records tumbling as he reached 244no at stumps on Day 3 to make for 11,956 Test runs.
- BAD DAY AT THE OFFICE: Smith’s halo slips at the MCGLara (11,953) was relegated to seventh on the all-time runs table courtesy of a Cook cover drive which went for four in the final over of play, the England opener taken aback last night when quizzed on his rise in the record books.
- His mammoth total this Test comes after a lacklustre series to date which had yielded just 83 runs combined from six innings with a top score of 37 in Adelaide.
- Cook said that series was a distant memory but after a tough tour to date it been rewarding to put runs on the board.