NZCityt – Three former Black Caps stars have opted to trade sunshine and grass for an attempt at cricket on a frozen lake.
- Three former Black Caps stars have opted to trade sunshine and grass for an attempt at cricket on a frozen lake.
- Daniel Vettori, Grant Elliott and and Nathan McCullum have joined a long list of former internationals taking part in two T20 matches on Lake St Moritz in Switzerland in February.
- Although the annual Ice Cricket festival has run since 1988, this year is notable for the big cricketing names involved, with the Kiwis being joined by Australia’s Mike Hussey, India’s Virender Sehwag, and South Africa’s Jacques Kallis and Graeme Smith among others.
- “The lake freezes into an extremely thick layer of ice which then is covered by the soft falling snow, enabling the lake to withstand more than 200 tons of weight, which makes it the perfect area to construct a pavilion village and grandstands,” the organisers said.
- The two games – with players split into two teams – will be played on February 8 and 9 (local time).