Sportskeeda – 5 facts about Australian cricket history that you probably didn’t know
A look at 5 of the little-known facts from the history of Australian cricket.
- Those things have been dissected to no end and any cricket fan worth his salt is aware of the cricket history of Australia.
- However, there might be some things that might not be as mainstream or perhaps forgotten and here is a look at 5 of those fascinating, little-known things from the history of Australian cricket.
- #5 Tests in Australia used to have 8 ball overs until 1979Max Walker Celebrates during the course of one of those 8-ball overs in 1975When Test cricket first commenced back in the 19th century, an over used to consist of 4 deliveries, before the 6-ball over was adopted in England in 1900.
- All first-class cricket and Test cricket in Australia consisted of 8-ball overs and needless to say, it must have been a big shock for visiting bowlers in particular, who were used to bowling 6-ball overs.
- In the 1979-80 season, the cricket board in Australia adopted the 6-ball over across first-class cricket and Test cricket and it has been the same ever since.