Hindustan Times – India’s most well-fought series away from home — not just the ones won — have often featured an all-rounder.
- Hardik Pandya’s emergence in Sri Lanka last year gives India captain Virat Kohli a happy problem.
- Former India all-rounder and coach, Madan Lal, feels it will boil down to how many bowlers India would want to field in South Africa.
- A huge supporter of playing five bowlers outside India, Kohli could be tempted to play three seamers, a spinner – most likely Ashwin – and Pandya, who could prove useful in South African conditions.
- Even without Pandya, India will have batting depth till No 8 with Wriddhiman Saha coming after Murali Vijay, KL Rahul/Shikhar Dhawan, Cheteshwar Pujara, Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit and Ashwin.
- Either way, it would be interesting to see whether India deem Pandya worth a selection headache.