Indian Express – By: Reuters | Published: January 14, 2018 10:30 Lungi Ngidi scalped Parthiv Patel’s wicket.
- (Source: Reuters)South Africa’s newest fast bowler on the five-day circuit, Lungi Ngidi, was so nervous ahead of his first ball he was not sure if he could let go of the delivery but he ended the day with his first wicket and a spectacular run-out in the second Test against India on Sunday.
- Ngidi is playing in just his 10th first-class match of a blossoming career and, despite his nerves, showcased his rich potential with the wicket of Parthiv Patel, the run-out of Cheteshwar Pujara and very nearly the dismissal of Indian captain Virat Kohli.
- India are 183 for five in their first innings, trailing South Africa by 152 runs on a slow wicket that has bounce but little lateral movement.
- His first wicket was a textbook delivery around the wicket to Patel, a ball that pitched and deviated away from the left-hander, inducing an edge to wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock.
- Ngidi had earlier thought he had Kohli trapped plumb in front of middle stump but after his appeal was turned down and South Africa reviewed the decision, replays showed the Indian skipper had got the faintest of edges to the ball.