Times of India – NEW DELHI: Twenty20 cricket is all the rage this week, with the 2018 IPL player auction in Bengaluru on January 27-28 dominating talk and sending pundits and fans into a tizzy as they look at the plausible outcomes of who will go where and how much franchises will fork out.
- Players from around the world will vie for a share of the enormous amount of money on offer, and many bonafide international stars are in line for lucrative paydays.
- His superb batting skills and partnership-snapping spin – he took 106 ODI wickets – would have had made him an instant millionaire in franchise T20s.
- An ODI specialist, his fielding was top-class for that era, and an ODI average of 39.47 hints that he could have cracked T20s too.Another player who would have excelled in T20 cricket.
- And, as that 22-run over by Waqar Younis during the 1996 World Cup quarter-finals shows, Jadeja could slam the ball over the ropes.
- But when he was tossed the ball on February 22, 1992 by Martin Crowe during New Zealand’s World Cup match against Australia at Eden Park, the offspinner Patel marked a trend that would take the co-hosts into the semi-finals and change the way spinners were used in one-day cricket.