Daily Mail UK – Chris Woakes was on the England team bus when he found out he had become the Indian Premier League’s latest ‘million dollar man’, a price he admitted was “mind boggling”.
- Chris Woakes was on the England team bus when he found out he had become the Indian Premier League’s latest ‘million dollar man’, a price he admitted was “mind boggling”.
- The Warwickshire all-rounder is as unassuming as international sportsmen get but a strong maiden IPL season with Kolkata Knight Riders combined with some well-timed performances with bat and ball in the one-day series against Australia, which wraps up in Perth on Sunday, saw him in demand for the world’s biggest Twenty20 tournament.
- Test captain Joe Root was one of several squad members who went unsold, all of whom will hope to be picked up on day two when franchises look to top up their rosters, while the absent Ben Stokes – who is due in magistrates’ court on a charge of affray next month – landed a bumper £1.
- Among the winners were Jos Buttler, who fetched £488,000 to join Stokes at Rajasthan, Moeen Ali made £190,000 to become Woakes’ RCB team-mate and Delhi Daredevils paid Roy’s reserve of £166,000.
- As well as a boost for his bank balance Woakes, along with Moeen, will get the chance to share a dressing room with India captain Virat Kohli and South Africa star AB de Villiers – the kind of experience money cannot buy.