Hindu – It is sad to read about our sportspersons and players becoming commodities in the hands of corporate auctioneers.
- The very spirit of the game is lost in such commercialisation and it is bound to affect a player’s performance and the game or sport itself.
- Cricketers appear to be topping the chart in such auctions, followed by footballers.
- The true spirit of a game is being sacrificed for money and short-lived fame.
- It is sickening that our cricketers are being “sold” for whopping sums in an auction.
- Apart from being a den in terms of encouraging undeserving auction prices for cricketers, encouraging betting and mindless advertising, the IPL is only inflicting great damage by corrupting the very values of cricket as a game, which have taken years to evolve.