Fox Sports Australia – The claimed catch itself lit up social media, gave Maxwell a life and sparked Australia’s Twenty20 victory over England in Hobart on Wednesday night.
- But current and former cricketers — on both sides of the Ashes rivalry — have come out in support of Roy’s claims despite video evidence appearing to support third umpire Chris Brown’s decision.
- England captain Eoin Morgan backed his player’s call, but admitted the TV replays were unforgiving — a point which left former Test spinner Gavin Robertson fuming.
- VOTE IN OUR POLL BELOWRobertson said the replays were cruel and deceptive, arguing former cricketers across the globe would’ve been seething at the decision to overturn the soft signal of out.
- And he says the constant conjecture around contentious video umpire decisions — particularly on 50-50 claimed catches — is having a hugely detrimental impact on the game.
- Robertson wasn’t prepared to do away with video technology completely, even for those contentious calls.