Fox Sports Australia – The South African’s contract came to an end at the conclusion of BBL 07, having signed a two-year extension after guiding the club to its one and only title in BBL 05.
- The team’s performances have slid since that title, with the western Sydney franchise struggling to fill gaping holes left by Mike Hussey, Jacques Kallis and Andre Russell.
- Thunder went from champions to wooden spooners in BBL 06 and finished sixth this summer, spurring a high performance review by the club.
- “Paddy has been a very important part of Sydney Thunder and the history of our club,” general manager Lee Germon said.
- “Following a comprehensive review of our playing roster, facilities and support staff, the club will now work with Cricket NSW to deliver a strategy to maximise our player pathways specifically for T20 cricket.”
- Upton spent four seasons with the Thunder, in which the team only made it past the round-robin stage once.