Stuff – Australian celebrations over their Tri-Series Twenty20 win over the Black Caps have been soured by confirmation the effort wasn’t good enough to claim the world No 1 ranking.
- Australia beat New Zealand in the tournament final at Eden Park on Wednesday night, believing they had finally broken their long drought in terms of being the top-ranked team in cricket’s shortest format.
- But Cricket Australia confirmed on Thursday that they had been given the wrong calculation by the International Cricket Council which had indicated that if they could win the final and go through the tournament unbeaten they would finally earn the No 1 position.
- “But the ICC clarified that this initial calculation was a clerical error and it is in fact Pakistan who have retained top spot on decimal points,” Cricket Australia said.
- READ MORE: * Sodhi picked for NZ ODI squad v England * Voerman: Black Caps a work in progress * Scorecard: Black Caps v Australia * Recap: Black Caps v Australia * Six struck off bowler’s head * Has Australia cracked the T20 format?
- Therefore Pakistan remain No 1 and Australia remain one of three current test-playing nations, along with Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, to have not held the No1 ranking in T20 cricket.