Sporting News – A day after the ICC slapped Kagiso Rabada with a two-Test ban, cricket’s governing body has vaulted the paceman back to the top spot on the Test bowlers’ rankings.
- A day after the ICC slapped Kagiso Rabada with a two-Test ban, cricket’s governing body has vaulted the paceman back to the top spot on the Test bowlers’ rankings.
- After claiming player-of-the-match honours in South Africa’s series-levelling six-wicket win over Australia in Port Elizabeth – where he took 11-150 – Rabada soared back to the top of the ICC rankings for Test bowlers.
- Josh Hazlewood is fifth on 796 points, while Vernon Philander (8th, 776 points), Mitchell Starc (9th, 772) and Nathan Lyon (10th, 753) are the other bowlers in the South Africa-Australia series to sit inside the top 10.
- MORE: James Anderson to retain England vice-captaincy despite Ben Stokes return | South Africa captain Faf du Plessis fires up at Rabada suspensionReturning to the top of the bowlers’ rankings tree may be a positive for Rabada, but his two-match suspension will weaken his side’s pace attack for the final two Tests against Australia.
- However, it only got worse for Rabada – he also accepted a Level 1 charge and a further 15 per cent fine of his match fee and one additional demerit point for his send-off of David Warner on day three.