The Yorkshire Post – Published:
Tuesday 13 March 2018
DAVE CALLAGHAN was not just the voice of Yorkshire cricket.
- Published: 12:05 Tuesday 13 March 2018 DAVE CALLAGHAN was not just the voice of Yorkshire cricket.
- He was a sporting ambassador and this is reflected by the affectionate tributes that have been paid to the BBC broadcaster following his sudden death.
- An eloquent champion of county cricket, and its importance, he treated everyone, from England captains to spectators voicing an opinion, with a humility, and cheery courtesy, that few, if any, can match.
- Any day watching Yorkshire was enlivened by his presence – and the same can be said for the countless charitable causes that he hosted, and supported, for the benefit of others.
- And, as Yorkshire continue their pre-season tour in South Africa, they know that summers will never be the same without this sports journalist – simply known as ‘Cally’ – whiling away the day to the sound of willow on leather and treating each and every listener, whether it be on BBC Radio Leeds or online, as his best friend.