The Guardian – Surrey have confirmed their interest in signing Virat Kohli on a possible short-term deal before India’s Test series in England this summer.
- Surrey have confirmed their interest in signing Virat Kohli on a possible short-term deal before India’s Test series in England this summer.
- Reports on Saturday suggested a deal has already been struck, with the Indian captain expected to miss the one-off Test with Afghanistan in Bangalore on 20 June and a Twenty20 series with Ireland in order to tune up for English conditions.
- “I did enquire a while back about Kohli when it appeared to be a possible option for him to play county cricket but was told by the BCCI that India were playing Ireland in T20s and an inaugural Test v Afghanistan in June,” said Stewart.
- The 29-year-old’s previous Test tour of England in 2014 saw him return just 134 runs from 10 innings as India succumbed to a 3-1 series defeat.
- Speaking about the chance to play county cricket in future during India’s 4-0 home victory over England in 2016 — a series dominated by his batting — Kohli said: “I would love a month to get used to playing in the conditions and understand what the wickets play like in that phase of the year.