Gulf News – Mumbai: “Unique” Afghan leg-spinner Rashid Khan will have a major impact on this year’s Indian Premier League for the Hyderabad franchise, coach Tom Moody has predicted.
- Mumbai: “Unique” Afghan leg-spinner Rashid Khan will have a major impact on this year’s Indian Premier League for the Hyderabad franchise, coach Tom Moody has predicted.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad splurged 40 million rupees (Dh2.24 million) at last year’s auction to land the unheralded leg-spinner from Afghanistan, where cricket is highly popular but sporting facilities are pitifully inadequate after decades of war.
- Hyderabad paid this year to land the Afghan spinnerThey are currently a Full Member, scheduled to play their maiden Test match against India in June, and also won the qualifying tournament for the 50-over World Cup in England and Wales next year.
- Rashid has played a major role in Afghanistan’s ascent, and last month became the fastest to take 100 wickets in ODIs, bettering the mark of Australia fast bowler Mitchell Starc by eight matches.
- Hyderabad, who lead the IPL standings with three wins from as many matches, lost captain David Warner after the Australia opening batsman was banned late last month due to the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa but New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson has eased into that role.