WA Today – Zeeshan Akbar was not there to bat on Wednesday afternoon but his friends still declared him “not out”.
- In April last year 29-year-old Zeeshan was fatally stabbed while working the night shift at Queanbeyan’s Caltex service station on Bungendore Road.
- On Anzac Day, just over one year since the tragedy, friends and family of Zeeshan gathered to play a memorial cricket match in his honour.
- Zeeshan’s younger brother Faizan Akbar, 26, who is visiting from their home country of Pakistan, said the match was bittersweet.
- For next year’s game they would even try to fly Zeeshan’s parents over from Pakistan, Mr Jaffry said.
- Last year Zeeshan’s father Mohammad journeyed from Pakistan to Queanbeyan to celebrate the life his son had built in Australia.