Indian Express – By:
Reuters | New Delhi | Published: May 4, 2018 1:49:37 Gary Kirsten believes Australia will bounce back.
- (File)Australia may still be dealing with the aftermath of the ball-tampering scandal but World Cup-winning coach Gary Kirsten has no doubts they will bounce back and be challenging for one-day cricket’s most coveted trophy next year.
- “You can never count Australia out of any big tournament,” South African Kirsten, who coached India to their 2011 World Cup triumph, told Reuters in an email interview.
- “They are the most consistent team across big tournaments and I am sure they will be ready to compete at the next World Cup.”
- The former opener reckoned the gap between top teams has been narrowing over the last decade and next year’s tournament could be one of the most open in World Cup history.
- “South Africa has built a team where you have a number of match winners,” said Kirsten who is working with de Villiers as the batting coach of Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League.