Metro – Steve Smith has spoken out for the first time since he was axed as Australia captain for cheating.
- Steve Smith has spoken out for the first time since he was axed as Australia captain for cheating.
- Smith was one of three players to receive bans from Cricket Australia after batsman Cameron Bancroft was caught trying to damage the condition of the ball in a Test match against South Africa.
- Bancroft, who was playing in just his eighth Test match, is not eligible to play for his country for nine months, while Smith and David Warner will be absent for at least a year.
- A Cricket Australia investigation found Warner, 31, to be the main protagonist and his hopes of playing for Australia again appear bleak.
- The ball-tampering scandal quickly made headlines around the world and Australia Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull, condemned the team for their conduct.