The Age – Tim Paine will be Test captain over the next year and, with a focus on one-day cricket during this period, it makes sense for him to also be one-day skipper.
- Tim Paine will be Test captain over the next year and, with a focus on one-day cricket during this period, it makes sense for him to also be one-day skipper.
- Ideally, the new one-day international skipper can remain through next year’s World Cup but captaincy in the 50-over format is not as demanding as Tests, so a change between now and then would not be catastrophic.
- Simpson was coach when Langer made his Test debut in a gut-wrenching loss to the West Indies in Adelaide in 1992-93 in a team that was two years away from being the world’s best.
- Langer, who will be good for a quote, will have a grace period over summer for expectations won’t be as great without Steve Smith and David Warner – the team’s two best batsmen – and opener Cameron Bancroft, who have all yet to be told what their 100 hours of community service will involve.
- But should Langer then revive fortunes, rectify cultural issues and even claim next year’s World Cup, as Simpson’s side rebounded to do in 1987, Langer has the chance to match Simpson in terms of his legacy.