Indian Express – By:
PTI | Published: May 9, 2018 9:04:34 The Indian captain has decided to give the landmark June 14-18 Test a miss to prepare for the England tour by playing for Surrey in the County Championship.
- (Source: File Photo)Surprised by Virat Kohli’s decision to skip the Afghanistan Test, Australia’s World Cup winning captain Michael Clarke feels the Indian skipper should fly back from Surrey to play the historic one-off Test in Bengaluru.
- Clarke, however, backed Kohli’s decision to turn up for county cricket and said it will send a clear message about his goal to win in England.
- This is their chance and that’s exactly what Kohli, Ravi Shastri and all in Indian cricket would be thinking,” Clarke said.
- Citing the example of the ongoing IPL where, barring Kane Williamson, seven other franchises have Indian captains, Clarke said India have great depth in their squad.
- Recollecting his own experience of winning the 2015 World Cup at home, Clarke revealed that they targeted Brendon McCullum and planned to bowl him yorkers in their match-eve team meeting.