Daily Excelsior – Dublin, May 15:
Ireland’s debut in Test cricket ended in a five-wicket defeat as Pakistan debutant Imam-ul-Haq hit an unbeaten 74 at Malahide today.
- Dublin, May 15:Ireland’s debut in Test cricket ended in a five-wicket defeat as Pakistan debutant Imam-ul-Haq hit an unbeaten 74 at Malahide today.
- Set a seemingly modest 160 to win on the last day, Pakistan collapsed to 14 for three, having made Ireland follow-on earlier in the match.
- Together with Babar Azam (59) he kept Ireland at bay during a fourth-wicket partnership of 126.
- Kevin O’Brien, who on Monday became the first Ireland batsman to score a Test hundred, fell to his first ball on Tuesday as Mohammad Abbas had him caught at slip for 118.
- Pakistan 1st Inns: 310-9 dec (Faheem Ashraf 83, Asad Shafiq 62, Shadab Khan 55; T Murtagh 4-45, S Thompson 3-62) (Agencies)Ireland 1st Inns: 130 (Mohammad Abbas 4-44, Shadab Khan 3-31)Ireland 2nd Inns (following-on): 339 (K O’Brien 118, S Thompson 53; Mohammad Abbas 5-66, Mohammad Amir 3-63)Pakistan 2nd Inns: 160-5 (Imam-ul-Haq 74 no, Babar Azam 59)Result: Pakistan won by 5 wkts.