Sky Sports – Kolkata Knight Riders’ hopes of a third IPL title remain intact after Dinesh Karthik, Andre Russell and their spinners helped them dump out Rajasthan Royals with a 25-run win in the eliminator.
- Kolkata Knight Riders’ hopes of a third IPL title remain intact after Dinesh Karthik, Andre Russell and their spinners helped them dump out Rajasthan Royals with a 25-run win in the eliminator.
- SCORECARD | AS IT HAPPENEDKarthik (52 off 38) and Russell (49no off 25) propelled Kolkata, champions in 2012 and 2014, from 51-4 to 169-7 at Eden Gardens, with Rajasthan only able to muster 144-4 in reply, despite Sanju Samson’s 50 from 38 deliveries, as Piyush Chawla (2-24) and Kuldeep Yadav (1-18) proved too frugal.
- Kolkata, who finished third in the league phase, one spot above Rajasthan, lost three wickets in the first four overs, with off-spinner Krishnappa Gowtham (3-15) removing Sunil Narine (4) second ball, having seen the West Indian club his first delivery for a boundary through cover.
- Chris Lynn (18) then fell in the eighth over but Karthik revived the innings, firstly with Shubman Gill (27) – the Kolkata skipper putting on 55 with Gill before the teenager was dismissed by Archer – while Russell slammed five sixes in his knock as KKR racked up 87 from the final seven overs.
- New Zealand leg-spinner Ish Sodhi (0-15) was the most economical of the Rajasthan bowlers with Kolkata unable to hit a solitary boundary off him – and slow bowlers also proved key for KKR during the Royals’ run chase.